Monday, September 2, 2013

Face Your Fears


 

Just 3 months ago I was signing a new contract for a management position at a large corporate gym. I found myself both excited and nervous to take such a big step in life just 4 days after graduating college! The position was quite an eye opener for me, and really opened up my mind to what I really wanted to do in life. The behind the scenes challenges of the new position left me stressed and unmotivated at the end of the day. These are obviously not the feelings your personal trainer should possess, and that’s just it: the new responsibilities limited my ability to work with clients and actually train.  I told myself it was a great opportunity for management experience and forced myself to get up every day and work hard at my new job. An activity that, for me, was not usually an act of force.

Just as I was getting settled and familiar with the new position I get a call from Chris about working for him at his gym in Niagara Falls. I had heard a little about Chris and the gym before, but he wanted me to check it out and explore a new career opportunity. I thought to myself there is no way this can be better than being in a full time position as the fitness director at a major corporate gym. That all changed when I walked through the doors of Chris Fit.

There was tons of new equipment and friendly faces greeting me every step I took through the new gym. Then Chris took me over to the Lewiston location, here I found myself exploring a gym that was a lot more familiar, but still found myself wondering what I was thinking. How could I change jobs right now? The commute is even longer that the previous, I don’t know anyone, and I would have to start all over finding new clients!

After a long interview process I was offered a job and found myself again nervous and excited to make a change in my life and career. There was so much that was new and different to me. The gym had new equipment and new policies to learn. I was adjusting and learning a new training style along with new clients, but I decided to step out of my comfort zone and take on this new life challenge. I knew it would be a change and a challenge for both the clients and myself. Pleasantly surprised I found myself adjusting quickly and loving going to work like I once had. Everyday is a new learning experience and everyone at ChrisFit has been welcoming, making a nerve-wracking change for me as easy as can be! ChrisFit has taught me that change is a great thing, not something to fear or be nervous of and to move forward you have to step out of your comfort zone and try new things. Things that might be uncomfortable, or that you might not succeed at the first time.

That being said with everything in life it is important to realize when you’re coming to a plateau and what it takes to get past it. Stepping out of your comfort zone can change a lot in your life and take a positive toll on your goals!

So try something new, a new food or new exercise, pick up kettlebell or ask to learn some new movements. What ever it is challenge yourself, push yourself try something uncomfortable, and step out of your comfort zone! Ultimately be the best you that you can be!

 

-Lauren Ciurzynski

No comments:

Post a Comment