Monday, November 18, 2013

A brief introduction from the new guy! Welcoming Pat to the team

So the getting to know someone stage is always awkward, but I finally found the right relationship for me with ChrisFit. My name is Patrick Ciera, I love powerlifting and I dabble in OCR, 3 obstacle half marathons and a tough mudder to be exact.
To keep this relatively short, I found my love for the iron after a freak accident playing college football at ECC. I tore my ACL, LCL, MCL and both meniscus leading me to have reconstructive knee surgery. Enter powerlifting. I started seeking out coaches, PT's, friends really anyone that could help me get better. I found advice here and there, but most said to take it easy, you're done. Guess who refused to believe he was done? If you guessed me, you're right. So I started pounding away at my flexibility, my strength, rehabbing my knee. 
Fast forward  a few years to 2013, I found my love for powerlifting. I decided back in July, that I would compete in my first meet November 9th 2013. 
So I researched every possible way to be ready in a short time (legally) and still be able to be competitive. I found the program I thought for best and pounded a way at it, one chip at a time. Along the way you wouldn't believe how often I thought I was stupid for competing, I thought I was out of my league, I didn't belong on the platform, man was I wrong.
I weighed in at 208.5, competing at the lower end of the 220lbs weight class. I finished with a 30lbs pr on squat, with 400. My bench faltered, I opened with 275 and fell short on both of my other attempts. Deadlift, I easily hit 502 as my opener. My second attempt I psyched myself out and missed 551. I returned to my third attempt with 551 again and hit it easily. Placing third in the 220 weight class, seemingly the most competitive. Realizing I love being on the platform, I will continue my journey in competitive powerlifting. Thanks for the warm welcome to the Chrisfit family from everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment