Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Lessons of 2013 from Chris

Lessons learned, re -learned or smacked me in the face in 2013



  As we are approximately 82.7% of the way through the year, here are my thoughts in no particular order and for no particular reason.

Taking guitar lessons has made me a better personal trainer. Doing something I have no previous experience with and paying for lessons has helped in the following ways: It puts the process of obtaining a skill set(s) in perspective. Contrary  to my false sense of confidence, I sound no where near like Jimi Hendrix after a year of lessons. Yes, progress was made, but like most clients looking to grace the cover of mens or women's fitness magazines within a year, we were both unsuccessful. I can say with a 100% certainty that I have made way more progress, in quicker time and have developed less bad habits than had I attempted to learn guitar on my own. I also can relate to clients better in the sense that, there were days were I didn't want to practice or go to my appointments. Not wanting to disappoint Randy from Generations Music, I practiced and kept the overwhelming majority of my appointments. This was a valuable side effect of lessons/scheduled appointments. Especially with recently obtaining a 2nd location and more recently moving.(more to come on that later) Human psychology at its finest!

More and more new /perspective clients are doing more damage to their bodies by under eating than overeating. Yes, you read that correctly. Too many gym goers,(men and women) are eating way too little and doing way too much cardio in an effort to lose weight/body fat. This ends up being a disaster long term as some clients cant lose weight on under 1000 kilocalories and upwards of 1.5 hours of cardio per day. If this describes you, please see someone qualified to help you.(most clients lose weight in the range of 1650-2300 kilocalories)--  Disclaimer: VERY,VERY general statement.

Obtaining a 2nd gym location has been crazy. First, I never imagined one location, let alone two. Secondly, and more importantly staff at both locations have helped me get out of jams/prevent problems and have taken care of situations before they have even reached my desk. Of course, nothing is perfect and we all make mistakes, but overall this has been a positive experience. Having the responsibility of both locations has of course added some stress which is where guitar lessons has also benefited me. Sure, working out will always be my go to and a great stress reliever, but taking on a challenge that involved some different aspects of my brain/focus has been great. While taking guitar lessons, for that hour, Im not worrying if theres toilet paper in the locker rooms, if Ann Marie has a bad attitude today or if jim is curling in the squat rack-again. 

To this day, I have never regretted a workout or taking my dogs for a walk. I can admit that I have regretted skipping both, on rare occasions.

Cardio for body composition changes is over-rated in my experience. More people could change their bodies from lifting weights more often/intense and eating better. They could also benefit from more intense versions of the cardio they are currently doing.

Most people still over estimate how hard they are working and under estimate how many kilocalories they consume. With that being said, new clients, long term clients or potential clients do NOT care how much you know, until they know that you actually care about them. Intervals, carb cycling, leucine content, proper foot placement on the squat, do not mean anything to the new client who is terrified of the gym and thinks you or their gym doesn’t care about them.

It surprises how many spouses, significant others, boyfriends, girlfriends, etc will try to sabotage their partner/friend from making progress in the gym. Whether its snide remarks, bringing home dessert, pizza, ice cream or making their partner feel guilty for their gym time. It appears that those with low self esteem will try to keep others around them down. On a purely selfish note, why wouldn't you want your partner to look better, let alone all the health benefits that come along with weight loss and increased activity?
Once again, human psychology at its finest. 

Food logs work. EVERY SINGLE TIME. 

People set unrealistic expectations. Much like me wanting to be the second coming of Hendrix, people want to lose 30lbs, never eat junk food again, run 15 miles at a time, lift 750 pounds and do 817 burpees in their first week of training. 

People set their expectations too low. Approximately 3 months after we acquired our 2nd location, while I was doing my cardio, I noticed a member doing her cardio  work on a recumbent bicycle. She was ALWAYS on this piece of cardio equipment. Unless the member is a current/past personal training client, or about to do something that would injure themselves or someone else, I typically don't say anything( I understand some people just want to be left alone). This time was different. I approached the member and said something to the effect of “ I see you here a lot, would you like to do things more efficiently?”
She responded with a yes and I explained the adaption process of the body getting used to her very routine “routine”.
As each of my tips were explained and given the science behind it, her response was along the lines of “thanks, but”;
But I sweat was her reply, mine was that I sweat in church.
She responded with, it burns, I countered with so does a hot stove, doesnt make it optimal ,safe or effective.
“ I just want to get in the habit of coming to the gym”, the conversation continued on for quite some time. Each logical, scientific reasoning behind my suggestions were met with an emotional nonsensical response. 
I realized I wasnt “winning’ this conversation. At one one point she actually admitted that she knew that I was right. Huh? lol
Although, in her defense, we all have been guilty of doing this with something in our life at one point or another. Human psychology, again.
Approximately 1-2 weeks went by before she attempted the elliptical. I know see her more frequently on the elliptical than I do on the bike. She also looks like shes lost a few more pounds. Progress, whether it be physically, mentally or emotionally happens at different rates for different people. As much as I want everyone to reach their goals in record time. its ultimately on the client. I tell my clients that Ill do whatever it takes to help them reach their goals, under one condition, that I dont put more effort into them then they do. Its a give and take relationship and there will be some ebbs and flows to it, but keep plugging and stay the course. Heres hoping 2014 keeps you on the continued path to health and wellness.

My guitar is calling.........



Christopher R. Tybor
Proud Owner 
ChrisFit Personal Training 

No comments:

Post a Comment