Thursday, March 24, 2016

You can't break me in an hour...

"When things are tough I'd break them up into hour increments and just worry about one hour at a time. Because there is NOTHING that you can do to me inside an hour that is going to break me." 
Marcus Luttrell


This quote is in relation to something much more harrowing than the fitness industry, but it still applies to our mission in changing lives toward a long term, healthy lifestyle. 

Long term goals, especially lofty ones like a substantial weight loss, a physique contest, or preparation for an athletic endeavor like a triathlon, can be daunting. Sometimes to the point of being overwhelming. When you look at your starting point, and try to see only the end result, it looks like climbing a mountain. Without gear. In the snow. In Nepal. In winter.

So we break things into manageable chunks. Decide on a timeframe for a smaller goal that's survivable. Maybe you can do ANYTHING if you only had to do it once. Get it done once. Then you've proved to yourself that it's doable. Now do it again. And again. Until you're at your goal.

I used to trick myself like this all the way into a bodybuilding show...
I can do an hour of cardio without dying. I can squat today even though I'm exhausted. I can make it through the day on X carbs...you get the idea.

This can build helpful daily habits. If we convince ourselves that we can handle one day at a time, we can. Make your goal for each day to do a few small items that will serve your goal, and if you accomplish those manageable items every day you will make it up the mountain.

For example, a few of my clients (and myself) have daily tasks that I ask be completed daily, even if it's not a training day, to keep focus on the task and make incremental progress toward the long term goal. I have a daily task of 50 pull-ups each day. No matter what, no matter how tired I am, I can manage 50 pull-ups one way or another. It's just not a choice anymore, it's part of the day. 
Some clients have 100 band pullaparts (actually many of them do! Hint, hint!) to do daily. Some are just supposed to hit a bare minimum of protein grams per day. Some are just supposed to not drink the whole bottle of wine!
The point is, a manageable daily item or two will add up long term if you're consistent, and it's much less overwhelming. 
Sure 3 minutes of plank per day may not sound particularly sexy to someone who has deadlifted 300+ lbs, but it adds up! That's 21 minutes of extra workout that you barely notice you're doing each week. And over time that stronger core makes for heavier lifts, which build more muscle and burn more calories, which lead to a great physique and healthy body!

Steve Decker 

No comments:

Post a Comment