Thursday, January 19, 2012

What is it that make's a person great at what they do? Is it a genetic predisposition? Is it their life experiences? Or is it some sort of internal drive to be better? We all have our advantages in life without question, but as the saying goes "You reap what you sew." About two months ago I was meeting with a potential client to try to convince him why he should join our ChrisFit family. When he walked in I could immediately tell he had the spark to do what was necessary to become the best he possibly could. When I asked him what he wanted to do his exact answers were "I wanna be bigger and stronger. But at the end of it all I'd love it if I could built like you man." That's always flattering to hear but it got me thinking about the answer.

As a general population we are constantly comparing ourselves to some sort of "ideal." I know for Steve and myself we are constantly comparing our selves to a bodybuilder's standpoint, and most women compare themselves to a hyped up media supermodel/actress that is defined as having the best body. The truth of the matter is there is no reason to compare yourself to someone else. I say compare yourself to yourself, and then never be satisfied!

That's right I said it...NEVER BE SATISFIED! Whatever kind of shape you're in, congratulations for pushing yourself and coming so far, but the simple truth of the matter is you are not done yet! Everyone out there can be better. You can still be stronger, or have better endurance, or be more flexible, or be leaner. Whatever it is you can still be better.

So back to my original question. The answer is not in front of you. The answer is choice D all of the above. We all have some form of genetic gift, life experience or internal drive that allows us to be better in some way shape or form than someone else; for instance Steve's body structure makes him perfectly suited to perform a deadlift (genetic), before becoming a trainer he worked landscaping where he was constantly picking up heavy stuff and putting it down (life experience) and finally he enjoys doing it and so he works harder and harder every time he does it to be better at it (internal drive). That why he pulls 550 off the floor, not because it's easy but because he can.

And don't tell me that nobody is perfect, because quite frankly I don't want to hear it. If you give 150%, pushing yourself beyond your limits, safely of course, and you only get back 100%...Congratulations you're perfect.

-Jack Lazarus

No comments:

Post a Comment