Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Secret to My Success *OR* Why I am NOT Superman

As I write this blog, I have just walked in the door from my daily trip to the gym. I'm drenched in sweat, smell like a foot and my legs feel like rubber. Today I trained my legs with heavy squats (ATG!!), leg presses and romanian deadlifts, followed by some tough cardio work. I'm eating my post-workout meal of plain oatmeal, blueberries, and whey protein. I've lost about 9 lbs in the past three weeks and feel great. And I've decided to let you in on the 3 secrets of my success!

1) Hard Work
2) Consistency
3) Discipline

That's it.

There's no magic pill. No super-advanced uber-program designed by NASA. No secret fat-reduction food known only to Hollywood stars and trainers. Its not my genetics, my age, or education. I don't derive super powers from Earth's yellow sun. It's just those three items. Hard Work, Consistency, and Discipline.

I bust my tail lifting heavy and doing my cardio day in and day out. I eat a clean diet of complex carbohydrates, healthy fats, and lots of protein. I don't drink or eat junk food. That's the "secret" everyone is after.

You see, often times I try to lead by example and show my friends and clients that it's not really rocket science to achieve the healthy, fit body that they want. But this is often met with resistance (read Excuses), as they cite that I am somehow different from them. It's said that we trainers are somehow unique and blessed and that our fitness is some kind of gift. It's not. We aren't comic book heroes with superhuman genetics. We work long hours, crave bad foods sometimes, have homes to care for, responsibilities to friends and family, and don't always feel like working out. We experience stress and have bad days. We are just like each and every one of you. But, if I can buckle down and do my workouts and eat clean, so too can every single person reading this.

By taking little steps every day to get yourself closer to the body you want, you too can become one of magic, lucky, fit people. Prepare your healthy meals in advance. Log your nutrition. Go the extra mile and break a sweat when you do cardio. Get a PR on a big lift. Throw away the junk food, and leave the wine in the cellar. And for heaven's sake, stop telling me "I'm Italian, I have to eat/drink that!" It's not always easy, but I am telling you right now that it's worth it. Nobody is perfect, but we can all make strides every day to be better than we were the day before.

Since this has hopefully negated most every excuse you have readily available in your arsenal, I suggest you get ready to put in some hard work and Get S**t Done starting NOW!

-Steve Decker

No comments:

Post a Comment