Thursday, June 23, 2016

Progress and Looking at the Big Picture


This past weekend, I competed in the annual USPA Mickey Ratts push/pull bench and deadlift powerlifting meet. This is a really fun event as it is held on the beach (at a bar!) and although competition is a relatively serious matter most of the time, this is a laid back and enjoyable atmosphere. I originally planned to do this meet as part of a team, and did so under less than ideal circumstances as I had just finished a full meet about 6 weeks prior and was feeling beat up. But, my client and friend Sandy Vanuden was excited to go lift together so I went all in, even with an aching shoulder. The team thing didn't quite pan out as planned, but once I give my word, I keep it, so I found a way around the shoulder thing, and got things done to lift with my friend!

Which brings us to my actual point. Sandy also had an achy shoulder for a few months during the past year that began to clear up not too long before the contest. This meant that her training for the bench press portion of the meet was pretty limited along the way, and to keep things safe I didn't push too terribly hard once it was feeling better. This would mean breaking even or slightly below from last year's bench number. 

So what do we do about that? Stay the course, and push the deadlift with the extra time and energy that wasn't devoted to the bench of course! Sandy's training for the deadlift had been absolutely awesome for months prior to the meet and I knew if we kept playing it smart and working hard that big things were coming. I had goals and predictions as to where she would land on her third attempt about 6 weeks out but I kept them to myself. Most people don't do great with hearing numbers in my experience....

Anyway, both lifts went well in training for a few weeks and then we arrived at meet day. As predicted, bench was pretty close to last year's number, but the deadlift shot up like a rocket for Sandy. She took my predicted third attempt and quite frankly could've gotten at least ten more pounds had we gone for it. It was a total smokeshow. This lift was roughly 34 pounds heavier than last year's third attempt. So, even with a slight decrease in the bench press, Sandy's total for the two lift meet had increased by 29 pounds in under a year. This is a masters class lifter, working around a small injury and playing things on the safe side, with a 29 lb PR!!

I tell this story not to brag (though it's kinda fun...), but to illustrate a point. The point being to persevere and to look at the bigger picture when it comes to training. There are points where we all feel stuck and that no progress is being made, it's just life. Things like aches and pains, jobs, spouses, illness and the like can get us sidetracked. But this can be overcome with perseverance and patience. Progress will come. Injuries heal. Work will calm down. Just stay the course.
And every now and again, look back at where you came from. It would've been easy to say "this stinks, my bench went down" but it's way more useful to look at the big picture and say "I put 29 lbs on my total!"
This isn't just for powerlifting either. Look at yourself a year ago. You've made progress. I guarantee it. Hell, maybe this time last year you weren't even exercising. But check out the big picture and see where improvement has been made, it'll probably surprise you!

Steve Decker 

No comments:

Post a Comment